Traditional dry cleaners use Perchloroethylene (also known as PERC) which is recognised globally as toxic to human health and the environment. Handwashing is by far the safest method for cleaning cashmere, wool and most delicate fabrics. Here, I’m going to demonstrate how to do it the non-toxic way with my favourite fall coat from Feine Cashmere.
- Firstly, always pre-treat any stains with Soapnut Republic Natural Stain Remover.
- Then, add 50mL or a squirt of Soapnut Republic Delicates Shampoo to a basin of luke warm water. Never use hot water to wash cashmere.
- Immerse the garment and swish gently, taking care not to stretch it. Soak for up to 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the water out of the garment without wringing or stretching. Discard the soapy water, and refill the basin with clean, luke warm water. Repeat this process until the water is no longer soapy. Avoid rinsing under running water, which can stretch delicate fabrics.
- Don’t wring. Wringing out a wet garment can be harsher on fabric than running it through the delicate cycle of a washing machine.
- Press water out of the garment and then dry the item flat in its natural shape on a drying rack or a clean white (or light-coloured) towel.
- To speed up the drying process you can lay the garment on top of the towel, gently smoothing out all the wrinkles. Starting at the top of the garment, roll the towel and the garment together, pressing down on the roll to help the towel absorb the water in the garment. Unroll. If the item is still very wet, repeat this step with a dry towel.
- When dry, lay the garment flat and gently steam iron using a wool or cashmere setting.
- Alternatively, Soapnut Republic Delicates Shampoo is naturally gentle and softening on fabric. Our unique blend of pure soapnut extract combined with safe plant and mineral ingredients is perfect for cleaning and protecting wool, cashmere, silk and other delicate fabrics. Subtly fragranced with lemongrass and Australian Tea Tree essential oils, our non-toxic formula will help to prolong the life of your most delicate items. Buy now from our WeChat Store.
- And, if you love this Cashmere Classic Swinger Coat from Feine Cashmere as much as I do, you can purchase one of your own from their WeChat Store (Chinese only) or website (English and Chinese).
- Available in Haystack, Tobacco, Black, Fossil and Navy, this classic coat will keep you warm and in style all season.
- Buy a bottle of Soapnut Republic Delicates Shampoo before 6th November 2018 and we’ll send you a coupon code to receive a 10% discount on all items from Feine Cashmere.
- Here are the details to view their latest range:
- Happy shopping and have a great weekend!
- Best Wishes, Kim Founder, Soapnut Republic Soapnut Republic创始人